Tuesday 5 December 2017

2017 Round Up - Music

It's been...a year. Like everyone, I've experienced some real ups and downs in 2017. I've done better in university than ever before, managed to blag myself an internship with a huge print newspaper, started a job that doesn't make me want to rip my own head off and had some fantastic adventures with the people I love. On the other hand, I've also had to deal with loss, death, mental health, and the never ending hell cycle of modern politics that I can never just ignore because I'm a journalist and have to know about every awful thing that's happening at any given moment LOL.

I'm sure nobody really wants to read blocks of text about what I did and didn't do this year, so I'm going to simplify 365 days worth of life into a big round ups of favourites. I'll be going through music, film, television, culture, fashion and beauty in a series of blog posts over the month. Why not focus on the positives for once? Today we're gonna talk MUSIC, which I'll be breaking down into albums and gigs. Let's go!

Favourite Albums of 2017

1.BROCKHAMPTON - SATURATION II


The members of BROCKHAMPTON are outrageously talented for their ages. All the group's releases so far have been incredible, but SATURATION II is jam-packed with catchy, expertly put together tracks. Even my wee Mum likes them. BEST TRACK - SWEET


2.Alexandra Savior - Belladonna of Sadness


Alexandra's debut singles were so promising and this album lived up to the hype. Her voice is mesmerizing, her lyrics are clever and her ability to paint pictures with words is striking. This album is beautiful and melancholic and deserves a lot more attention. BEST TRACK - SHADES


3.Kendrick Lamar - DNA


Obviously this album is on this list, it's on every yearly roundup - for good reason. I've loved Kendrick for years, and DAMN is one of his best. It's powerful and bold from start to finish, and has further emphasized his place as an icon of modern hip-hop. BEST TRACK - LOYALTY

4.Gorillaz - Humanz


26 songs long! Aside from Drake, who puts out albums of that length?! And unlike Drake's More Life, this album can actually justify being that long. The list of collaborating artists on Humanz is the most impressive of any Gorillaz record yet, and every feature is expertly utilized to show off their skills (hear that, Calvin Harris?). BEST TRACK - OUT OF BODY 

5.Mr Jukes - God First


Jack Steadman was born to make soul music. We're all sad that Bombay Bicycle Club are on hiatus but if there was any reason for them to take a break, it was so this album could be made. It's a stunning blend of jazz, soul, funk and rap. Steadman's sheer instrumental and song-writing talent is overwhelming throughout God First, and he deserves more recognition for it. BEST TRACK - SOMEBODY NEW

6.Courtney Askey - Oh! Softly Goes


Courtney and I met on Tumblr in 2011 when we were both school girls with guitars trying to make names for ourselves online. I've always been blown away by her song-writing prowess, and was so happy when her debut album finally appeared this year. Oh! Softly Goes combines a range of styles, all with Askey's signature captivating, flowing vocals. BEST TRACK - TOO LATE

7.Syd - Fin


Syd's seductive vocals are such a pleasure to experience. Fin, her debut solo album outside of her work with The Internet, shows her at her best. Some tracks are reminiscent of Aaliyah and early noughties R&B, some more influenced by modern rap, but they all work together well. Yes to queer artists singing about queer stuff! BEST TRACK - KNOW

8.SZA - Ctrl


This album is girl power personified. It's so good to hear strong women like SZA singing about how men aren't a necessity - it's like a love letter to herself, and it's honestly inspiring to listen to. The simplicity of the tracks compliment SZA's distinctive voice so beautifully. BEST TRACK - SUPERMODEL

9.Alt-J - Relaxer


Relaxer is certainly a move away from the sound of Alt-J's previous two albums. It's far more electronic, the vocals are somehow weirder than before, and it suits them. It may be short but it's definitely sweet. Thank god there are some indie guitar bands left who are willing to push outside of the genre. BEST TRACK - DEADCRUSH

10.Alaskalaska - Alaskalaska

Technically an EP and not an album, but I've listened to it so much this year it would be unfair to leave Alaskalaska's debut out. I reviewed it earlier this autumn, and I still can't get over how catchy and addictive the tracks are. I can't wait to hear a full album from this London six-piece - hopefully that can be featured on my 2018 Favourites. BEST TRACK - PATIENCE

Just to finish off the list, I want to point out that Arcade Fire's Everything Now is not featured on this list because despite them being possibly my favourite band of all time, it is a truly trash record that I don't ever want to think about again :-) 

Favourite Gigs of 2017


1. Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights 15th Anniversary Tour (Alexandra Palace, London)


My first ever trip to Alexandra Palace was beautiful. It's an awe-inspiring venue, so hearing my favourite album of all time in full there made for a perfect and memorable night. I went by myself, made friends with some fun strangers and danced with them all night. Turn on the Bright Lights sounds as good now as it did upon its release, and this was the best I have ever seen Interpol perform.

2.Gorillaz - Humanz Tour (The Hydro, Glasgow)


Seeing Gorillaz live is an experience, considering the emphasis placed on the visual aspect of the band. Having live appearances from the likes of two thirds of De La Soul, the fascinating Zebra Katz and the brilliant Vince Staples made for a brilliant gig with a real party atmosphere. Damon Albarn is a master of hopping from genre to genre effortlessly and watching him on stage proves that.

3.Radiohead - TRSNMT (Glasgow Green)


A setlist full of classics, a rowdy Glasgow crowd singing every line, and Thom Yorke's, er, interesting dance moves - it's the perfect recipe for a fantastic festival experience. A lot of Glasweigans criticized TRSNMT for their choice of Friday headliner, but this was a show to remember. And my best friend came all the way from Australia just to stand in a cold Glasgow park and scream 2+2=5 with me, so I had a grand old time. 

Honourable mentions - Mr Jukes - God First Tour (St Luke's, Glasgow) + Rae Sremmurd - SremmLife 2 (02 ABC, Glasgow)

Well there you have it, there's some things that I enjoy, maybe you will enjoy them too. If you do, or you're too lazy to read it all, here's a Spotify playlist summarizing the whole thing. Next time, we'll be talking FILM and TV so keep an eye out for those. See ya! <3 

No comments:

Post a Comment