Thursday 23 October 2014

University information day held at Fife College

Fifeife College’s St Brycedale campus had its university information event today.

The event, which was organised by the college guidance team, featured a multitude of stalls from Scottish universities and student organisations. Held annually, the guidance team said the event “ensures students know as much as possible about where they can go when they leave us.”
Universities from across Scotland were on hand to offer students information on their futures. Stall holders gave out prospectuses and literature on their universities and explained to students the benefits their courses would give them. The widening participation officer for Stirling University said “It’s essential that students pick a university that suits them and their needs. I don’t try to convince anyone that Stirling is the best and only option. It has to be the student’s choice at the end of the day.”

There were many students at the event, but some seemed reluctant to leave the college at the end of the academic year. 60% of students asked said they were going to continue into the second year of their HND at Fife College, despite the other options available to them. “Although there’s obviously other places I could go next year, bigger cities with better student life, I’m set on staying here to get my HND,” said Kyle Johnson, a fitness student, “I love my class and the lecturers and equipment are top notch really. I’ve only been here two months and I really love it.”
Skills Development Scotland were also at the event, helping students already in the process of applying to university, as well as talking about careers and apprenticeships. The Open University had a stall too, providing help to those interested in further education but without the time or money to attend a physical university.

Overall, the event seemed successful, as students armed with brochures and free tote bags headed back to their lectures. “Events like these are really good because they help me know more about my future options,” said hair and beauty student Ashley George, “and I get loads of freebies”.

No comments:

Post a Comment